Tuesday, September 22, 2015

View from outside

Hello dears,

I went outside a minute ago to regather myself after reacting and reacting and reacting to my family. I watched the clouds roll along and the moon rise among the pines and I saw the faces of my ancestors and all of the stories in the sky. "What are you trying to tell me?" I asked one gaping, sneering maw. And I asked another to send me a smile and its eye just narrowed. For a moment, I saw my father's profile--the jutting jaw, the straight nose, the deep-set eyes--that I recognize in my and my children's faces. Then it was gone, lost to the ever-changing sky, lost like so many other happinesses to the impending storm.

It's been stormy around here lately. So much loss and grief and melancholy, we're still trying to break out of the funk. The sky is a mimic, I guess. It sends back to me what I send into it. That sneer, that frown, that profile, is me.

I needed that moment with the unforgiving scape to step away and hear my life from the other side of a badly insulated window. I could hear A making a pb&j for E, who wasn't a fan of Michael's tetrazzini, even as he teased her about not eating mushrooms. I could hear A and Michael enjoying their soccer game with it's remarkable hat trick +2 and the more remarkable beaming Germans. I know Lily is upstairs happily doing homework and texting on the coveted cellphone that we were so reluctant to give her. I could hear my life being lived and I could appreciate it so much more from the outside because, sometimes, from the inside it's so. much. noise.

Watching the moonrise, finding the faces, I'm reminded of the universal music that winds around above us and is caught, occasionally, by Indonesian musicians playing percussion in gamelan.
Listen here:
http://freemusicarchive.org/curator/FMA/blog/MP3_of_the_Day_Peliatan_Gamelan_Kapi_Radja

And universal music made me think of Elizabeth Gilbert's TED talk(http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius?language=en) about creativity and productivity and the living, breathing genius that comes to us and refuses to let us go until we've produced something and how CAN that be anything but the universal wind that blows around the world and sometimes descends to us to give us gifts of music and art and inspires people and animals and flowers to bloom and grow and greet us every morning? And if I'm sitting in my backyard blowing angry faces into the clouds, how can I be inspiring anything good in the world? Have I engaged the muse of melancholy who inspires sad songs and bad poetry and hotel seascapes? Will I have to answer for this negative addition to the world? Will I have to listen to sentimental poetry or the same POP song over and over and over again(seriously T. Swift, I love you, but it's too much)?

I don't know. I won't in this world, I guess. Too many questions for tonight, but I am going to sit out and face those copycat clouds again and I'll try to send out something hopeful and maybe something positive will descend on the world.

Lots of love to all of you.

Love,
Corks

2 comments: